The pioneer of Swiss natural cosmetics
It all began in 1935 when BIOKOSMA was founded by Rudolf Müller, a follower of the “Lebensreform” (life reform) movement, in a small health food store in Zurich.
The first BIOKOSMA product was a lemon face cream. He and his young company were soon joined by Max Steidle, who subsequently took over the company after the war. Under his leadership BIOKOSMA found a new home in the buildings of a former embroidery company in Ebnat-Kappel in Toggenburg.
Products were made in enamel pans over gas burners. But even then BIOKOSMA rejected the use of paraffin oils, relying on the power of plants instead. After adding several extensions to the existing premises, the company finally moved into a new building in 1979, which used the most advanced solar panel and heat pump technology.
True to its philosophy, BIOKOSMA stopped using aluminium tubes, parabens, musk and musk derivatives in the 1990s. As early as 1992, six years before it became mandatory, BIOKOSMA provided a full declaration of ingredients. BIOKOSMA has never tested its products or ingredients on animals.
After conducting an extensive survey among users, in 2007 the brand image of BIOKOSMA was revised and updated. Since 2010, new BIOKOSMA products have been NATRUE-certified as natural cosmetics and selected ingredients have been sourced from organic producers, with preference given to Swiss producers.
All our products are still developed and manufactured in the Swiss mountains. BIOKOSMA uses carefully selected organic plant ingredients from Switzerland, transforming them into effective skincare with state-of-the-art technology that preserves all the goodness of nature.